Fourth Annual Fordham Law Film FestivalSeptember 22, 2009
Legendary filmmakers Peter Bogdanovich and Barry Levinson--along with Sleepers author Lorenzo Carcaterra and Brooklyn District Attorney and novelist Charles J. Hynes--are among the featured guests at Fordham Law’s 4th Annual Film Festival, October 16–22. The festival is organized by the Forum on Law, Culture & Society.
“The Festival offers a singular opportunity to discuss the ways the legal system is portrayed in film and to explore how the themes of justice and injustice continue to inspire the artistic imagination,” said Thane Rosenbaum, Director of the Forum and John Whelan Distinguished Lecturer in Law. “The Festival features six nights of views and viewpoints, including those of the audiences.”
The six-day festival, which is supported by HBO, is free and open to the public but reservations must be made for tickets through the Film Festival website.
The festival opens October 16 with a screening of The HBO Documentary Film Shouting Fire: Stories from the Edge of Free Speech, and continues with Anatomy of a Murder, Witness for the Prosecution, Mississippi Burning, The War of the Roses, and Sleepers.
Schedule, Guests and Locations:
- Friday, October 16, 7:00 pm: Shouting Fire: Stories from the Edge of Free Speech, (HBO Films) with post-screening guests the Emmy-winning and Oscar-nominated filmmaker Liz Garbus; noted First Amendment attorney Martin Garbus; and Fordham Law professor Abner S. Greene. HBO Theater, 1100 Avenue of the Americas (42nd St.), 15th Floor
- Saturday, October 17, 7:00 pm: Anatomy of a Murder, with director Peter Bogdanovich. McNally Amphitheatre, Fordham Law School, 140 West 62nd St.
- Sunday, October 18, 3:30 pm: Witness for the Prosecution, with film professor Annette Insdorf, actor Mark Ethan, and Fordham Law School Dean William Treanor, at Fordham.
- Tuesday, October 20, 7:00 pm: Mississippi Burning, with civil rights attorney and longtime Director of the NAACP’s Legal Defense Fund Jack Greenberg; Fordham Law associate dean Sheila Foster and professor Robin A. Lenhardt; at Fordham.
- Wednesday, October 21, 7:00 pm: The War of the Roses, with book’s author Warren Adler and divorce attorney Raoul Felder; at Fordham.
- Thursday, October 22, 7:00 pm: Sleepers, with Academy Award-winning director Barry Levinson; the book’s author Lorenzo Carcaterra; and Brooklyn District Attorney and novelist Charles J. Hynes; at Fordham.