LORRAINE POWER THARP SCHOLARSHIP
The New York Bar Foundation is pleased to announce the 2011 Real Property Law Section
Lorraine Power Tharp Scholarship, which has been established by the Foundation through a
gift from the Real Property Law Section of the New York State Bar Association (NYSBA) to
honor the memory of Lorraine Power Tharp, Esq., a former Chair of the Section and a former
President of the Association.
The $1,500.00 scholarship will be awarded to a second or third-year law student who best
exemplifies the core values important to Lorraine – academic excellence, a demonstrated interest
in public service, high integrity and, if possible, an interest in real property law.
Efforts will be made to honor Lorraine’s commitment to gender equality and diversity in the
profession. To ensure geographic diversity, the Foundation will strive to select students attending
New York State law schools in different counties each year, so that over time students from all
areas of the state will be able to benefit from the scholarship. A preference will be given to students who demonstrate financial need.
Please see below for eligibility and submission guidelines or click here for a PDF with additional information
The Real Property Law Section Lorraine Power Tharp (“LPT”) Scholarship
1. The LPT Scholarship, valued at $1,500.00, will be awarded to one student enrolled on a
full time or part-time basis during academic year 2011-12 in a law school in the State
of New York.
2. The LPT Scholar will be a guest member of the NYSBA Real Property Law Section
during the 2012 calendar year.
3. The scholarship recipient will be invited to attend Executive Committee meetings of the
NYSBA Real Property Law Section during the 2012 calendar year.
4. The scholarship recipient will be notified no later than November 15, 2011.
1. The scholarship is open to all second and third-year full time students enrolled in a law
school in the State of New York during the fall 2011 semester. If attending part-time, the
scholarship is open to second, third and fourth-year students enrolled in a law school in
the State of New York during the fall 2011 semester.
2. The student must have attained a minimum 3.5 or equivalent GPA in law school and must
have attained a ranking in the top quarter of the class.
3. Preference will be given to students who demonstrate financial need.
Payment of Scholarship
The scholarship will be applied to the student’s 2011/2012 academic year tuition. A
check, made payable to the law school and the student, will be sent to the appropriate
office at the school by December 15, 2011.
Scholarship Application Requirements
The applicant must submit the following:
1. Completed application
2. Cover letter of interest in the practice of real property law.
3. A resume describing your prior employment and other relevant qualifications and
4. Unofficial law school transcript.
5. Two letters of recommendation, at least one of which is from a law school professor
unrelated to the applicant by blood or marriage.
6. Two page double-spaced essay written by the student demonstrating why he or she
exemplifies Lorraine Power Tharp’s core values.
The application and supporting documents must be postmarked on or before FRIDAY,
SEPTEMBER 30, 2011.
Criteria for judging will be:
1. Content and quality of application materials.
2. Demonstrated interest in public service and, if possible, real property law.
3. Record of academic excellence.
4. Maturity, integrity, professionalism.
5. Leadership experience.
6. Quality of written expression.
7. Work experience.
8. Any other relevant factors.
All materials must be submitted by mail with a postmark on or before FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2011.
RPL Tharp Scholarship
The New York Bar Foundation
One Elk Street
Albany, NY 12207