Fordham Law

Casey Anthony to be freed from jail on July 13 despite four-year jail sentence for lying to cops

Deborah Denno in NY Daily News, July 07, 2011

Media Source

BY Lukas I. Alpert and Corky Siemaszko

Casey Anthony is getting out of the slammer next Wedneday.

The Florida judge who presided over the monster mom's soap opera of a trial agreed Thursday to give Anthony credit for the three years in jail she's already served and release her July 13th.

Chief Judge Belvin Perry did, however, hit Anthony with the max - four years - for lying to cops investigating the death of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.

"It is clear that the court is sending a message by sentencing her to the maximum amount of time she could have received," said Fordham University Law Professor Deborah Denno.

Anthony, who was also hit with a $4,000 fine, looked happy and even wore her hair down for the first time since her trial started in May.

When Perry imposed his sentence - and Anthony's hopes of an immediate release went poof - the familiar stony-faced expression returned.

She was not in the Orlando courtroom when the judge's spokesman announced her release date.



Anthony's acquittal on Tuesday drew widespread outrage and her month-long trial - and the lengthy investigation that preceded it - was a cable-TV sensation, with lurid tales of family incest and "CSI"-like testimony.

The 25-year-old brunette was accused of killing her kid three years ago by suffocating her with duct tape because motherhood was getting in the way of her partying.

She claimed Caylee drowned in the family pool and that her panicked pop, George Anthony, tried to make it look like a homicide by taping her mouth and dumping her in the woods.

During the trial, Anthony's lawyers blamed her litany of lies on the sexual abuse they said she suffered at her dad's hands.

George Anthony, an ex-cop, denied any incest with Anthony or any role in covering up Caylee's death. Both he and his wife, Cindy, have praised the verdict but denounced their daughter for choosing a "baseless defense."

A juror interviewed by the St. Petersburg Times - but not identified by name - said the panel didn't believe anything Anthony's father said on the stand.

One of only two African-Americans on the panel, Juror No. 2 offered some insight into how they were able to reach a verdict after just 10 plus hours of deliberating.

He said they felt from the start that prosecutors failed to pin the crime on Anthony and their first vote was 10-2 against convicting her of first-degree murder.

"We didn't know how she died, we didn't know when she died," the juror said of Caylee. "Technically, we didn't even know where she died."

He said the panel split 6-6 on the manslaughter charge in their first vote. He said he voted to convict Anthony because he believed she was negligent.

"It didn't matter at what point in time she came home and found out her daughter was missing," he said. "She had to report it in some way, shape or form, and that's where the negligence came in."

He said those who believed as he did began defecting to the not guilty side around lunchtime Tuesday and he was the last holdout.

The juror echoed earlier remarks by another juror, Jennifer Ford, who said the experience took a toll on them. He said images of Caylee's decomposed body still haunt him.

"Those pictures ... I'll probably never forget them," he said, his voice cracking. "To think that somebody would do that to a child."