Raphael A. Prober
Fordham University School of Law
140 West 62nd Street
New York, NY 10023
ExperienceRaphael A. Prober is a Policy Counsel in Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP’s Washington, D.C. Office. He focuses his practice on Congressional investigations, internal investigations, and white collar criminal defense. Mr. Prober represents corporations, institutions, and individuals in high-profile Congressional, administrative, and judicial proceedings and investigations.
Mr. Prober has represented a wide array of individuals and corporations in connection with investigations before various Congressional committees, including—
• a number of clients in investigations related to the financial crisis of 2008-2010, including representations of a former CEO of a leading insurance company; a credit rating agency; and a top hedge fund manager;
• multiple leading defense contractors in a number of investigations into Iraq and Afghanistan-related contracts and conduct;
• several leading hedge funds and fund managers in investigations related to derivative trading and other fund practices;
• a major banking/mortgage institution in an investigation related to its mortgage and lending practices;
• a prominent major league baseball team in connection with investigations into stadium financing;
• a trailer manufacturer in an investigation related to the Gulf Coast hurricane relief effort;
• a number of health care insurance companies in various investigations related to the health care reform bill of 2010;
• a leading restaurant chain in an investigation related to a product recall; and
• a number of clients in various investigations related to the Gulf Coast oil spill.
Mr. Prober also has represented a number of clients before various investigative commissions, including the Commission on Wartime Contracting and the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission, as well as before a number of committees of various state legislative bodies.
In connection with these investigations, Mr. Prober has drafted testimony, prepared witnesses, and has managed complex document and information requests. Mr. Prober also has represented clients in investigations conducted by various federal executive branch departments, commissions and agencies, including the U.S. Department of Justice and the Federal Election Commission.
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Mr. Prober was an associate in both the New York and Washington, D.C. offices of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP. He serves on the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum’s Next Generation Board, and also serves on the Museum's Washington Lawyers Committee.
Mr. Prober recently co-authored an article entitled “Attorney-Client Privilege in Congressional Investigations,” published in the Business Crimes Bulletin (January, 2009). He also authored an article entitled “Shutter Control: Confronting Tomorrow’s Technology With Yesterday’s Regulations,” published in the University of Virginia Journal of Law and Politics (Spring, 2003).
Mr. Prober received his B.S., magna cum laude, in Foreign Service from Georgetown University, and his J.D., cum laude, from Georgetown University Law Center. He is a member of the District of Columbia and New York bars.