Fordham Law School banner photo


Employment Statistics – Class of 2010

• 99% of graduates reported employment status
• 93.1% of those reporting employment status indicated that they were employed nine months after graduation*

I. TYPE OF EMPLOYMENT

Type of Employer Percentage of Employed
Private Practice
(Law Firm)
50.5%
Business/Industry 11.4%
Judicial Clerkship 12.5%
Government 9.6%
Public Interest 13.8%
Academic 1.8%
Military 0.4%
Unknown --

II. LAW FIRM SIZE

Law Firm Size Percentage of Employed in Private Practice
501+ Attorneys ** 47.6%
251-500 Attorneys ** 13.9% 
101-250 Attorneys ** 9.1%
51-100 Attorneys 5.2%
26-50 Attorneys 3.9%
11-25 Attorneys 7.4%
2-10 Attorneys 12.5%
Solo 0%
Firm Size Unknown 0.4%

III. REGIONAL/GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION

Region Percentage of Employed     
New England
(CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
1.8% 
Mid-Atlantic
(NY, NJ, PA) 
84.9%
South-Atlantic
(DE, DC, FL, GA, MD,  NC, SC, VA, WV)
4.2%
East North Central
(IL, IN, MI, OH, WI)
0.9%
West South Central
(AR, LA, OK, TX)
0.4%

Mountain
(AZ, CO, ID, MT, NV, NM, UT, WY)

0.9%
Pacific
(AK, CA, HI, OR, WA)
2.8%
West North Central
(IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD)
0.2%
East South Central
(AL, KY, MS, TN)
0.2%
International 2.2%
Unknown 1.5%

Representative Employers

Employers who visited Fordham Law during its 2010 Fall On-Campus Interview Program and 2011 Spring On-Campus Interview Program [PDF].  This list does not include employers who participated in our Resume Collect Programs nor our online Job Bank.

Information Regarding Fordham Law Recruitment

  1. Spring Recruiting Program: Each year from February through Mid-April the CPC organizes a Spring Recruiting Program, which includes the Spring On-Campus Interview Program and the Spring Resume Collect Program.  These programs primarily facilitate first year hiring.  The predominant employers are from the public sector (government and public interest). The vast majority of first years spend their summer working in the Public Sector, interning with judges, at government agencies or public interest organizations.  A small number of law firms and corporate legal departments also participate in this Program.
  2. Fall Recruiting Program: This is the largest recruiting program held by the CPC each year.  It includes Early Interview Week (mid-August), Fall Weeks (September through October), and the Fall Resume Collect Program.  These programs facilitate upper division student hiring for summer and permanent positions (Pursuant to NALP guidelines first year law students may not contact employers until December 1st of their first year).  Early Interview Week is primarily comprised of large law firms hiring for their summer associate programs.  The Fall Weeks component welcomes additional large firms, mid-size firms, government agencies and public interest organizations.  Fordham’s Fall On-Campus Interview Program operates under a partial system, where employers select 60% of their interview schedule and the remaining 40% is determined by the Student Preference System.  
  3. Fordham Law Job Bank: The CPC hosts a proprietary and password protected Job Bank accessible to current students and alumni.  
  4. Public Interest Legal Career Fair and Equal Justice Works Career Fair: The Public Interest Resource Center (PIRC) coordinates Fordham Law students’ participation in these two career fairs which feature government agencies and public interest organizations from around the country.
  5. Job Fairs: There are numerous regional job fairs around the country that the CPC disseminates information to students about participating.
  6. The CPC actively assists students in their job searches through individual counseling, career development programs, guides and resources many of which are proprietary to Fordham Law School.

 

*14.7% of those reporting employment status indicating that they were employed nine months after graduation, were employed in public sector placements funded by the Law School.

**In 2010 some large firms announced that incoming associates’ start dates would be deferred by a few months to a year.  Each firm had a different situation and not every firm deferred start dates.  NALP provided guidance to law schools that they should report these students as employed at their firms regardless of their start date and if they were volunteering at public sector employers during their deferral period; so the above chart reflects that.  To assist prospective and admitted students in understanding the situation, we undertook an effort to obtain specific start dates for each of these graduates:
(i) 47.1% started with their firm in Fall 2010
(ii) 20.6% started with their firm in January 2011
(iii) 10.3% will start with their firm in Fall 2011
(iv) 3.2% will start with their firm in January 2012
Of the graduates employed at large firms 81.2% responded with their specific start date, the remaining 18.8% while confirming employment did not provide us their specific start date.