United States Attorney’s Office - Eastern District of New York
271 Cadman Plaza
Brooklyn, New York 11210
Jack Smith is Chief of Criminal Litigation at the United States Attorney’s Office for Eastern District of New York. In this role, he supervises approximately 100 criminal prosecutors and oversees criminal investigations and prosecutions in a wide variety of cases including public corruption, violent crime and gangs, white collar and complex financial fraud, narcotics and firearms trafficking, terrorism, immigration offenses and child pornography.
In his eight years as a federal prosecutor, Mr. Smith has tried several high profile cases including U.S. v. Schwarz (police sodomy of Haitian immigrant Abner Louima), U.S. v. Qadar (international murder-for-hire “honor killing”), U.S. v. Wilson et al., (gang slaying of two New York City police officers - first death penalty verdict in New York in over 50 years); U.S v. Padmore et al., (violent robbery crew involving corrupt police officers), U.S. v. Russell et al., (RICO trial of East New York-based “Crime Family” street gang), U.S. v. Dixon et al., (RICO/witness murder of Jamaican posse member) and U.S. v. Khalil et. al, (kidnap- murder of businessman by former FBI informant). Prior to his service as a federal prosecutor, Mr. Smith was an Assistant District Attorney at the New York County District Attorney’s Office for five years where he prosecuted all manner of criminal offenses ranging from disorderly conduct to intentional murder.
- 2007 United States Attorney General’s John Marshall Award for Distinguished Service(national award)
- 2007 Eastern District Association Charles E. Rose Award for Outstanding Service as an Assistant United States Attorney
- 2007 NYPD Honor Legion Award
- 2004 Federal Law Enforcement Officer’s Association Investigative Excellence Award
- 2003 United States Department of Justice Director’s Award (national award)
- 2003 Federal Bar Association Younger Federal Attorney Award (national award)
- 2001 NYPD Honor Legion Award
- 1999 New York County Lawyer’s Association Young Attorney Award
EducationHarvard Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1994
State University College at Oneonta, B.A. summa cum laude, 1991